It’s my favorite time again – Stashas Famous Monday Listicles! I always look forward to making my list and this week’s topic makes me even more excited. 10 guilty pleasures was chosen by Miss Marina Star, mom by day, nurse by night, superhero all the time!
As much as I love yoga, actually enjoy working out and quit meat for a more fruit and vegetable based diet, I’m still not as healthy as it may seem. I’m better than I used to be but like The Force itself, I too have a dark side that must be kept in check.
You see, in my 20’s, I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted and as long as I worked out four or five times a week, I could keep my weight down and have a pretty good body. Not perfect but you know, things were ok.
Then I turned 30. And my metabolism transformed from a cheetah to a tortoise. I’m in my late 30’s now but I’m still pissed about this one.
The fact is, I love to eat and I have a sweet tooth like a hard core addict. I’ve been known to refer to Dairy Queen blizzards as “mommy’s medicine”. I hide dark chocolate candy bars in the fridge and in a basket in the bedroom. I am not proud but I am honest.
Almost all the guilt pleasures are of the food kind. Behold.
1. Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate bars. Are you friend or foe? Sometimes I’m not sure. You calm my anxiety, make the toddler tantrums more bearable and console me after a hard day. But you haunt me my friend. When will one small piece ever be enough?
2. Yes Ice Cream, it’s about you too. With or without delicious chocolate or candy pieces, you are always on my mind. You are always on my mind.
3. Strawberry Twizzlers, frenemy mine. Somehow you trick me so I don’t even feel it when I eat your whole bag in one sitting. What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you.
4. Gummy Bears, I wish I could quit you. Triple threat with your adorable shape, soft colors and delicious taste. I’m no match at all.
5. Cupcakes. The bad boy I know is all wrong for me but can’t resist because you Feel. So. Right. Who among you can resist the allure of the cupcake with it’s soft, fluffy icing and sweet, tasty cake body? I demand to know!
6. Soft Bakes Chocolate Chip Cookies. You wait for cold days and heartbreak, sad movies and pms. And then you sing your siren song and I sail my ship on to the rocks for you.
7. Chocolate Covered Almonds. You play coy with me, pretending it’s you they talk about in my Health magazines when I read articles about healthy, power foods. It’s plain raw nuts they speak of, not you, painted lady of almonds. Still you are so dear to me. Sigh…I love you so.
8. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Are you proud, now that you’ve enslaved my son as well with your awesome combination of salty and sweet? You’ve got your chocolate in my peanut butter! Nay friend, you’ve got your peanut butter in my chocolate.
9. Toffifay. My best and most secret friend. Most don’t even know of you. Like an black widow, you pull me in to your chocolate, caramel and hazelnut web until the entire box is gone. I lose all control, you win every time.
10. Heath and Skor Bars. Twins of treachery you are with your irresistible crunchy toffee goodness covered with soft chocolate.
Game. Set. Match.
So as much as I will get down on myself about wanting to lose those last 10 pounds or the round, soft belly I still have even though my son is 3, clearly I am at constant battle with the forces of good and evil when it comes to food.
I love watching True Blood, playing online “kill all the zombies” video games and spending way too much time on Twitter but few things come close to my love of unhealthy, sugary sweet treats. Hopefully all the good things I do to stay healthy is helping balance things out. Otherwise, I really am going to have to send a distress message to Obi Wan – “You’re my only hope!”
How about you? What are your guilty pleasures? Hope someone else has food as well, I’d hate to be alone on this one!